By Nehru Odeh
Jose Feliciano is the composer of “Feliz Navidad”, arguably the preferred Christmas carol on the planet.
A Puerto Rican musician, singer and composer, he’s greatest identified for a lot of worldwide hits, together with the rendition of “Doorways”, Mild My Hearth and the best-selling Christmas single, “Feliz Navidad”.
Yearly in the course of the Christmas season, “Feliz Navidad” returns to the airwaves as some of the performed and most downloaded songs of the season.
“Feliz Navidad” can also be acknowledged by ASCAP as one of many 25 most performed Christmas songs of all time on the planet and is within the Grammy Corridor of Fame.
1. Feliciano is a Puerto Rican songwriter from the USA.
2. He was born José Monteserrate Feliciano Garcia on September 10, 1946.
3. He was born blind because of congenital glaucoma.
4. He was the fourth youngster of 11 sons.
4. He was first uncovered to music on the age of three, enjoying on a cracker can whereas accompanying his uncle enjoying the cuatro.
5. When he was 5, his household moved to Harlem, New York Metropolis, Spain.
6. He taught himself to play the accordion when he was seven.
7. His father gave him his first guitar when he was 9.
8. He made his first public look on the Teatro Puero Rico within the Bronx at age 9.
9. He performed his guitar alone in his room for as much as 14 hours a day, studying by listening to 1950s rock and roll data by classical guitarists and jazz gamers. Andres Segovia and Wes Montgomery have been amongst his favorites.
10. As an adolescent, he took classical guitar classes with Harold Morris, a music trainer at The Mild Home Faculty for the Blind in New York Metropolis.
11. When he was 17, he dropped out of highschool to assist help his household. He started to go to the espresso homes of the village of Greenwich, passing “the hat” as his “wage” at these golf equipment the place he was invited to play.
12. He composed “Feliz Navidad” in 10 minutes in 1970 and launched it on November 9, 1970
13. The tune, described as “the only tune ever written,” has 19 phrases – six in Spanish (“Feliz Navidad, próspero año y felicidad”) and 13 in English (“I wanna want you a merry Christmas from the underside of my coronary heart”), repeated so long as obligatory.
14. “I needed a tune that belonged to the lots,” he recalled throughout an interview in the course of the 50th anniversary of “Feliz Navidad” in November 2020.
15. Earlier than composing Feliz Navidad, Rick Jarrad, with whom he launched the Christmas album, initially titled Jose Feliciano, had instructed that Jose write a brand new Christmas tune for the album. Jose discovered it impracticable, however started to reminisce about his childhood in Puerto Rico and moments later “Feliz Navidad” was born.
16. “Feliz Navidad” means “Merry Christmas” in Spanish.
17. He gained two Grammy Awards in 1968 for Finest New Artist of the 12 months and Finest Pop Male Efficiency, incomes him worldwide recognition as an avant-garde pop star for his distinctive ‘crossover’ fashion from Latino music to English pop/ rock.
18. He obtained the 2000 Grammy Legend Award on the 42nd Annual Grammy Awards. He additionally sang the theme tune, “Behind the Masks” for the tv sequence Queen of Swords.
19. He obtained his seventh Grammy in 2009 for the album Senor Bolero.
20. He was divorced from his first spouse, Janna (born Hilda Perez, 1945 – 2018) in 1978.
21. He met Susan Omillian, a younger artwork scholar in Detroit, Michigan, in August 1971. After turning into associates and relationship for 11 years, they married in 1982. They’ve three youngsters: a daughter, Melisaa, and two sons, Jonathan and michael.