Job title: Chief Security Officer
Job description: BitGo is the leader in digital asset financial services, providing institutional investors with liquidity, custody, and security solutions. Founded in 2013, BitGo pioneered the multi-signature wallet and is the first digital asset company to focus exclusively on serving institutional clients. Active in both centralized and decentralized finance, BitGo offers market leading trading, lending, and borrowing services through its prime brokerage services and acts as the custodian for WBTC, the leading global stablecoin for Bitcoin. In 2020, BitGo launched BitGo Portfolio and Tax, providing clients with a full-stack solution for digital assets. In 2018, it launched BitGo Trust Company, the first qualified custodian purpose-built for storing digital assets. BitGo processes approximately 20% of all global Bitcoin transactions, and supports over 600 coins and tokens. BitGo provides the security and operational backbone for more than 1500 institutional clients in 50 countries, including many regulated entities and the world’s top cryptocurrency exchanges and platforms. BitGo is backed by Goldman Sachs, Craft Ventures, Digital Currency Group, DRW, Galaxy Digital Ventures, Redpoint Ventures, and Valor Equity Partners.
The Chief Security Officer will be responsible for establishing the security strategy and direction for BitGo. As our top information security leader, you will have the opportunity to drive and implement the security strategy at the industry leader in BitGo for securing digital assets. Demonstrating your vision, domain expertise, and strong leadership skills, you will help shape the next generation of products and services while upholding the continued trust our clients have placed with us to ensure their assets are secure.
We are looking for relevant, collaborative leadership experience, proven execution ability, and technical cybersecurity competency as key indicators of success for this role. Working closely with the rest of our engineering teams, you and your team will share responsibilities to ensure that BitGo is able to continue to safely and securely ship highly scalable products as quickly and frictionlessly as feasible. You will design and work across teams to implement a program to protect our customer and company information, and secure our IT infrastructure. You will champion and preserve a balanced culture of security awareness by supporting and enabling risk analysis and strong security practices throughout the company. You will provide leadership in maintaining BitGo’s security policies, standards, and practices for the entire company and ensure that BitGo is in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and policies regarding the securing of information. You will drive implementation of security plans, including incident response, and lead the operational processes for monitoring and maintaining security and relevant compliance.
Strategy & Planning
- Develop and execute implementation of near and long-term security strategy and goals in alignment with BitGo’s business objectives and culture
- Drive security risk analysis, mitigation, and remediation plans. Plan for and lead security incident response and recovery efforts.
- Manage the development and implementation of global security policy, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security. Information protection responsibilities will include network security architecture, network access and monitoring policies, employee education and awareness
- Create and communicate security strategies and plans to the executive team, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders
- Design and implement disaster recovery and business continuity plans, procedures, audits, and enhancements
- Develop, implement, maintain and oversee enforcement of policies, procedures, and associated plans for system security administration and user system access based on industry-standard best practices
- Build a world-class team of security professionals; build the company into a well-known, highly-desired employer for security professionals
- In conjunction with the engineering team, develop and support secure coding practices and procedures. Direct application-level security review for new and existing functionality
- Oversee incident response planning as well as investigation of security breaches, and assist with disciplinary and legal matters associated with such breaches as necessary
- Act as advocate and primary liaison for the company’s security vision via regular written and in-person communications with the company’s executives, department heads, and end users
- Serve as corporate liaison / primary point of contact for counterpart CSO/CISO in larger organizations which are customers of the company
- Work on corporate technology development to fully secure information, computer, network, and processing systems
- Manage the administration of all computer security systems and their corresponding or associated software, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, cryptography systems, and anti-virus software
- Manage the administration of the facility’s security systems and their corresponding equipment or software, including fire alarms, locks, intruder detection systems, sprinkler systems, and anti-theft measures
- Track and control the security services annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations
- Ensure that facilities, premises, and equipment adhere to all applicable laws and regulations
- Recommend and implement changes in security policies and practices in accordance with changes in applicable laws and regulations
- Creatively and independently provide resolution to security problems in a cost-effective manner
- Assess and communicate security risks
- Lead operational risk management activities to enhance the value of the company and its brand
- Work with outside consultants as appropriate for independent security audits
- Collaborate with the technology leader and human resources to establish and maintain a system for ensuring that security and privacy policies are met
- Promote and oversee strategic security relationships between company employees and external entities, including government, vendors, and partner organizations
- Remain informed on trends and issues in the security industry, including current and emerging technologies and prices
- Employ sound security practices to preserve security, integrity and confidentiality of client data, and inform the CEO of security violations and resolutions
- Maintain relationships with local, state and federal law enforcement and other related government agencies
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree in the field of computer science, business administration, or 10+ years of experience in computer related fields
Knowledge & Experience
- 7+ years of experience managing and/or directing an IT and/or security operation
- Proven experience in planning, managing or developing IT security and facility security system technologies
- Experience in planning and executing security policies and standards development
- Excellent knowledge of technology environments, including information security, building security, and defense solutions
- Considerable knowledge of business theory, business processes, management, budgeting, and business office operations
- Substantial exposure to data processing, hardware platforms, enterprise software applications, and outsourced systems. Good understanding of computer systems characteristics, features, and integration capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to apply IT in solving security problems
- In-depth knowledge of applicable laws and regulations as they relate to security
- Proven leadership ability
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $189,000 to $249,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)
Why Join BitGo?
Disrupting an industry takes vision, innovation, passion, technical chops, drive to deliver, collaboration, and execution. Join a team of great people who strive for excellence and personify our corporate values of open communication, collaboration, accountability, craftsmanship, and a client first approach. We are looking for new colleagues who bring innovative ways of thinking and problem solving, and who want to be part of the team that changes the world’s financial markets.
Here are some of the benefits* of working at BitGo:
- Competitive base salary, bonus and stock options
- 100% company paid health insurance for employee, partner and dependents
- 4% 401k company match
- Paid parental leave, paid vacation
- Free commute and parking pass; 5 min from Caltrain
- Free custom lunches, dinners and snacks
- Computer equipment and workplace furniture to suit your needs
- Great colleagues and inspiring startup environment
*Benefits vary based on location
Cryptocurrencies are the most disruptive change the financial services industry has seen in years. Join us and you’ll be able to look back and say you were part of the team that transformed finance.
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending upon your leveling and location, the compensation for this role averages between $180,000 – $230,000 USD base salary. Equity, an annual performance bonus and the benefits outlined below are also a part of this role’s package.