Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it’s a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice – our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of crypto assets and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal
Department of the Future.
As a General Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate general athlete to support our growing UK and European business. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will help Gemini maintain a nimble, innovative legal organization tasked with tackling the complex legal challenges that confront a disruptive emerging asset class. By navigating unprecedented legal complexities across Business Development, Compliance, Finance and Accounting, People Operations, Product, Tax, Technology and Security, you will play a critical role in building our business at the forefront of the future of money.
- Act as regional general counsel for Gemini’s business interests in the region.
- Serve as the lead point of contact for Gemini’s senior management across EMEA.
- Lead engagements with regulators and other governmental stakeholders across the region.
- Advise Gemini on global privacy and data processing issues that arise in the ordinary course of business and help ensure that Gemini’s privacy program evolves in line with global regulatory requirements.
- Manage projects effectively and collaboratively with teams located in multiple jurisdictions.
- Lead and further build out the European legal function and related policies, processes, and templates.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini Leadership and cross-functional partners, evangelizing the Legal team’s expertise and services across the company.
- Collaborate with and support the General Counsel and the rest of the Legal team to evaluate and communicate legal risks to internal stakeholders and external parties.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini leadership and cross-functional partners in Europe, acting as a champion for the Legal team’s expertise and building reliance on the Legal team across the company.
- Solicitor qualification and work authorisation in England and Wales or Ireland.
- Minimum of 12 years of post-qualification legal experience at a law firm or in-house.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience advising a licenced electronic money or other financial services institution in the United Kingdom or Ireland.
- Familiarity with the markets in crypto assets regulation and anti-money laundering regulations applicable to crypto assets.
- Knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus.
- Ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience supporting a globally-distributed business and legal team.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and development of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
- A sense of adventure.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.