Job title: Investment Partner- M12
Job description: M12 is the corporate venture capital arm of Microsoft focused on early-stage (primarily Series A-C) investments, spanning, cloud and data infrastructure, devops cybersecurity, metaverse/Web3, vertical SaaS- particularly in retail and financial services, healthcare, and digital biology. M12 accelerates the future of technology through investment, insights, and meaningful partnership with Microsoft.
We are honored to have backed teams at over 100 great companies since launching M12 in 2016 including 27 exits and 15 unicorns. Notable investments include Livongo, Aqua, Contrast Security, AtBay and Innovaccer. M12 is headquartered in San Francisco with presence in Seattle, Tel Aviv, London, and Bengaluru (Bengaluru).
We are looking for an Investment Partner- M12 to develop and support our investment strategy in one or more areas of vertical SaaS with focus on retail and fintech, cyber-security and/or cloud & data infrastructure. This role may manage 1 analyst or associate. We place a premium on diversity of ideas and are excited to add new perspectives to our team. We value accountability, continuous learning, inclusivity, teamwork, transparency, and trust.
Develop Investment Thesis and Drive Investments
Develop an investment thesis and strategy for one or more focus areas (retail/fintech, cyber security, cloud, and data infrastructure) by conducting market research and analyses and leveraging input from industry experts (founders, venture capitalists, executives) to assess market opportunity including long-term opportunity, customer and user unmet needs, market, and competitive landscape. Outputs will include reports, market maps, competitive landscapes
- Drive and lead 2-3 investments (Series A, B) directly each year based on your thesis
- Leverage network of industry connections to drive deal sourcing and further cultivates executive relationships in startup and venture ecosystems to ensure high volume of sourcing opportunities.
- Generate deal flow for top tier deals by proactively identifying, assessing, and meeting with companies where there is potential for investment
- Analyze and synthesize through complex information (including the opportunity to partner with Microsoft), identify strengths and weaknesses of a startup, form a point of view to reach conviction.
Support Portfolio Companies & Engage with Microsoft Colleagues
- Adds value to portfolio companies by helping to recruit executives, raise funds, and move the company through the initial building phase (Go-To-Market, Product Business development)
- Builds trusted relationships and is confident engaging with Microsoft executives and presents presentations on relevant industry trends, competitive landscapes, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, Computer Science or related field AND 4+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field AND 3+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- 3+ years experience investing on a deal team.
- Demonstrated track record of venture capital investing (or angel investing track record and experience as a founding team member with experience raising venture capital)
- Experience as a Board Director or Observer at a technology startup
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field AND 5+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field AND 4+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- 5+ years commercial business experience.
- Promotes creative and effective collaboration.
- Experience working with and/or advising entrepreneurs in areas of product and Go To Market
- Demonstrate passion the enterprise tech space; fascinated with the startup ecosystem, new markets, and new ways of doing things
- Demonstrated ability and desire to navigate and collaborate in a large matrixed, complex organization
- Has the ability to effectively lead and find solutions in a constantly changing environment.
- Delivers success, defined as financial and strategic return for Microsoft
- Seeks ideas and improves upon solutions to deliver more value.
- Drives teams to push through real and perceived barriers to find the right solutions.
- Ability to influence internal and external audiences and stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills
- Effectively lead and find solutions in a constantly changing environment.
- Manages and supports the development of an analyst or associate in the creation of investment thesis, sourcing, diligence, etc.
- Strategic thinker, with an understanding of market trends, a passion for technical and market analysis, and a capable writer ready to present to C-Suite leaders.
Corporate Ventures IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $101,200 – $194,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $130,000 – $213,200 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here:
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the .