TBD is Block’s newest, emerging business unit- focused on building a future where every individual can access and participate in the global economy. The TBD team is on a mission to lead by example, inspiring the world to invest in & collaborate on open source standards and permissionless technologies for the public good. Join us as we build a financial system accessible for anyone who wants to participate.
The decentralized ecosystem that TBD is working to create with tbDEX will provide decentralized access to financial services. tbDEX is being designed with compliance in mind. As such we employ a decentralized approach to meet traditional compliance obligations such as identity verification, sanctions, and anti-money laundering compliance.
As TBD develops its own capabilities as a participating financial institution (“PFI”) on tbDEX, we need to build traditional fiat payments services and bitcoin transfer solutions. This technical work requires product compliance expertise to document requirements and participate in the design and development phase of building internal systems and controls. In particular, this role will provide compliance subject matter expertise for TBD’s new bitcoin and stablecoin products.
You will be at the forefront of imagining and realizing decentralized products built on the tbDEX protocol. You will coordinate directly with all relevant stakeholders including: Legal, Product, Engineering, Partnerships and Operations to gain a deep understanding of our product goals and provide real-time guidance and requirements documentation to support TBD product launches.
This position can be based in any Block office or be 100% remote from any US State.
- Understand the functional and technical design of blockchain, bitcoin and decentralized finance technology
- In collaboration with Legal, translate regulatory, compliance, and risk requirements into business requirements and technical specifications for our cross-functional partners
- Coordinate effectively with a variety of key stakeholders across functions and business units – cross functional collaboration is a critical skill for this role
- Draft comprehensive compliance requirements documents and concise internal communications that can be understood by both technical and business audiences
- Provide real-time subject matter expertise and guidance to Block’s product managers and engineers, as new products and services are being developed or enhanced, to ensure ongoing compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements
- Understand and articulate to key stakeholders how TBD’s products and systems will interact and the funds flow end-to-end, in particular for tbDEX where TBD’s product will be offered in conjunction with decentralized identity technology, back-end compliance controls, and customer facing agents like bitcoin and identity wallets
- Identify potential risks (compliance, regulatory, financial, fraud, etc.) and surface these risks together with proposed solutions to our cross functional partners.
- Subject matter expertise with at least one of these subject matters is essential: bitcoin exchange custody solutions, self-custody hardware or software wallets, or regulated blockchain exchange or payments services
- 5+ years of experience in a compliance project/product management role
- Solid understanding of blockchain technology, decentralized ecosystems, and regulated cryptocurrency products and services
- Prior experience working for a highly regulated, reputable cryptocurrency company required
- Exceptional interpersonal skills gained through experience collaborating and working with cross-functional partners
- Highly effective communication skills and experience creating arguments and presentations intended to educate and influence others
- Demonstrated interest in decentralized identity and alignment with the principles of decentralized finance
- Intense professional curiosity and a growth mindset
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 – USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $174,900 – USD $213,700
Zone C: USD $165,700 – USD $202,500
Zone D: USD $156,400 – USD $191,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block’s policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block’s equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.