Job title: Smart Metering Technical Manager
Job description: We are looking to strengthen our smart metering technical expertise by appointing a senior technical expert into our Smart Energy Code (SEC) team. You will bring a deep understanding of the technical arrangements of the SEC to support Parties, Sub-Committees and SEC Panel, and will have the opportunity to shape the direction of the smart metering programme now and in the future.
London Office (hybrid working)
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package
Full time (happy to consider flexible working)
The Smart Energy Code (SEC) underpins the smart meter rollout programme in Great Britain and is opening up opportunities for the future direction of the market. It’s a complex, challenging, and ground-breaking sector, and would suit someone who wants to make a real difference in the transition towards Net Zero.
In this role you will be responsible for oversight and co-ordination of a number of technical committees, to ensure that the smart meter infrastructure is designed effectively, tested properly and working correctly. These committees are:
- Technical and Business Architecture Sub Committee (TABASC), which is responsible for matters relating to the overarching Technical and Business Architectures underpinning the SEC;
- Operations Group (OPSG), which is responsible for monitoring, and seeking to resolve, operational issues faced by Users under SEC governance; and
- Testing Advisory Group (TAG) – which supports the SEC Panel on all matters relating to DCC system testing.
You will work with the SEC Panel (the SEC’s key decision-making body) and the Independent Chairs of the Panel’s Sub-Committees, to ensure obligations and delegated activities are met and delivered. This will be achieved by shaping the discussion, writing papers, co-ordinating activity across the technical committees, and leading projects and activities carried out by the SECAS team.
You will lead a team of technical and governance consultants who manage the day-to-day committee activities. This includes preparation of meeting papers, progression and resolution of topics raised under SEC governance, and maintenance of key documents and policies. The team also provide guidance on regulation relating to the design, testing and operation of DCC systems which interface with Users, to facilitate the technical committees in being able to make informed decisions and ensure compliance. You will also engage technical experts across the business and the wider SECAS Team.
From a stakeholder management perspective, you will also partner with the Data Communications Company (DCC), the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ), Ofgem and other relevant and emerging technical stakeholders, on matters relating to the technical regulation aspects of the SEC. You will also attend and present at industry governance forums and engage with key stakeholders and SEC Parties.
You will be accountable for delivering exceptional service to our clients and industry stakeholders and will therefore need to demonstrate excellent stakeholder management, project management and communication skills.
We are looking for a self-starter who will not just follow, but who will drive the agenda moving forward, as we support the industry in navigating its way through the complexity of the smart meter rollout.
- Providing technical expertise to the SEC arrangements, shaping the discussions and providing specialist input within the Sub-Committees
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with the Independent Chairs of the Sub-Committees to ensure meetings are effective and smooth-running
- Partnering with the DCC to prepare for meetings, and resolve operational issues
- Influencing technical requirements and solutions for modifications impacting the smart metering infrastructure
- Influencing the scope of release testing and supporting the assessment of testing completion with industry and the DCC
- Working with the DCC, DESNZ and Ofgem on the technical aspects of the SEC and representing those views at industry governance and DCC run forums
- Supporting the maintenance of SEC Technical Specifications and the Technical and Business Architecture documents and models
- Leading projects carried out by SECAS and its Community of Experts
- Managing stakeholder relationships with SEC Parties to ensure User needs are fully understood and represented
- Provision of input into industry consultations
- Ensuring the delivery of well-run Committee meetings, including team provision of quality meeting papers and recommendations
- Managing the performance and development of a team of technical and governance consultants and administrators
- Planning for the handover of responsibilities from DESNZ to SEC Panel
- Continuous improvement of the products, techniques and procedures used, augmenting the service in line with client requirements
- Providing support to the contract lead commercially and strategically
- Any other activities as required, from time to time.
Successful candidates will also need to:
- understand the regulation and obligations underpinning GB smart metering
- have sufficient understanding of smart metering operations to influence discussion regarding design, operational and technical issues
- have the skills, knowledge, credibility and technical confidence to work with industry stakeholders, committees and Chairs as peers
- have excellent planning and organisational abilities
- have exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, able to understand and communicate complex issues and solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- have proven management experience, and be able to shape, lead and develop a team
- strive for excellence in their work and that of others, able to deliver high quality work, being methodical, diligent and paying attention to the detail
- be a fast learner, able to assimilate and understand new information and subject areas in a short space of time and pick up new processes and ways of working quickly
- be proactive and driven, able to challenge the status quo
- be passionate about delivering an exceptional service to stakeholders
- be a team player, with good team interaction and interpersonal skills, working towards a shared vision for the future
- be degree educated or have equivalent professional experience.
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company’s Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties, along with monthly Gembar
Gemserv is an expert provider of professional services. We are purpose-driven, working across multiple sectors including energy, low carbon, the public sector and health to tackle today’s social and environmental challenges. Established in 2002, the business provides a range of consultancy and outsourcing capabilities including programme management, market design and governance. We also have extensive and award winning capabilities across cyber security, data privacy and digital transformation. We are a B Corp, IIP Gold accredited and a Financial Times Leading Management Consultancy for 2021 and 2022. Our purpose is marking things that matter work better for everyone.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued. We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. We also offer an attractive package of benefits in addition to highly competitive salaries including bonus scheme, pension and healthcare, season ticket loans, discounted gym membership, Cycle to Work scheme and more.
If you feel that you fit the above requirements and would like to hear more about being part of a growing organisation, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application letter to us by clicking ‘Apply now’