The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Come join our team of software consultants who help customers build and improve their software! We do this through a dedication to Test Driven Development, Pair Programming, and Clean Code concepts. We also encourage our clients to create an environment conducive to high performing teams and keeping employees engaged.
The people who succeed are those who are excited to constantly learn and help others learn. As consultants, we sometimes work in business domains or tech stacks that are unfamiliar to us, but we can achieve amazing results through excellent software writing processes.
Our recent client engagements include:
- COVID testing and exposure tracking project for the UK health sector
- Data processing project for solar power company, creating intelligent decisions from billions of data points
- System hardening project for emerging cryptocurrency company
You’ll have the opportunity to leverage a range of tools and technologies, from common skills like Java/Spring, C#/.NET, and Typescript/React, to iOS or Android, Rust, Golang and beyond. We’re routinely on the cutting edge with tools like kpack and knative on Kubernetes, while alternately excavating heritage mainframes. Our engineers are technically deep and learn to deploy their skills in a range of technologies and contexts.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- Day 1 – meet your peers and learn how to improve your craft as an engineer and consultant.
- Week 1 – learn how you can contribute to the health and growth of our engineering practice.
- Month 1 – join a client-facing team. You will build and modernize valuable custom software using modern engineering best practices.
- Quarter 1 – you will have made amazing improvements to your engineering skills! You will feel comfortable helping less experienced client engineers build great software.
- Year 1 – you will feel comfortable leading the efforts of an engineering team! You will deliver fantastic software and make a lasting impact on the software skills of customers.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may be modified to suit your professional strengths, but you can expect a variety of the following assignments:
- Be a crucial member of a team dedicated to helping a single customer achieve their technical and product goals. Build and modernize custom software built the right way.
- Advocate for modern best practices like Test Driven Development, Pair Programming, Refactoring, and Domain Driven Design.
- Collaborate daily with client engineers and stakeholders to solve complex problems in uncertain environments using a combination of their domain knowledge and your skills as an engineer. Coach customers on our approach all along the way!
- Learn new technologies to help a wide range of customers.
- Collaborate with product managers and designers to find simpler ways to meet the needs of our customer’s users and business.
- Learn new skills and grow in your own career while contributing learnings back to others in our Engineering practice so we can all grow and thrive together.
****This position may perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and therefore any offer will be contingent upon verification of both of these requirements.****
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
We believe in collaborative, autonomous teams focused on achieving our customer’s goals. Our leadership strives to create a healthy environment for you to do your best work, and will empower you to work directly with your team and clients to deliver.
Your manager will be an experienced Software Engineer, Product Manager, or Designer. They will support your growth through training, mentorship, and stretch opportunities. You should expect regular 1:1 meetings with your manager that are focused on project support and career planning.
We are passionate about building valuable software and software teams set up for long term success. We strive to leave every client team better than we found it and love collaborating along this exciting journey. We have a bias towards action and love to test ideas so we can learn and improve. We have learned that being empathetic, inclusive, and kind empowers people to achieve greatness. We look forward to welcoming new team members!
Where is this role located?
Like many companies, the COVID pandemic changed how we work. We are fortunate to be capable of running a strong business in a 100% remote working environment and that is what we are doing now.
Gridiron IT, a Women Owned Small Business (WOSB), leverages more than 25 years of Tested recruiting excellence and Trusted industry relationships. Gridiron IT provides top Talent to our federal and commercial partners. Gridiron is an Inc. 5000 2022 recipient that specializes in IT Infrastructure, Cyber & Cloud Security, Software Development, and Enterprise Support, and offer a competitive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, 401(k), life insurance, disability insurance, and pet insurance