Job title: Software Engineer Job at ENGIE Energy Access
Job description: ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIEMobisol and ENGIEPowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy.
ThePAYGosolar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Coted’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.2 million customers and more than 6 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Purpose / Mission
- We are looking for a talented, self-starting software engineer to join the digital team to help deliver affordable solar power to emerging markets.
- This position offers a great opportunity to work alongside an elite team of engineers and business professionals and directly contribute to the success of a mission driven company with social and environmental impact. Candidates will get the opportunity to work in a diverse technology stack at scale.
- Contribute to the bi-weekly software planning sessions, together with product managers and engineers to discuss delivery time estimates, risks, and key practical considerations (such as technical debt, feasibility at scale ….)
- Take requirements and deliver a complete solution subject to all engineering best practices, timeline considerations and potential dependencies in the software with minimal to no supervision.
- Mentor junior engineers and provide technical guidance.
- Develop complex software that optimally uses resources to best meet customer needs.
- Participate and contribute to architectural discussion on important areas of software that impact performance and reliability of our software. Identify and communicate risk in approaches or implementation details, assumptions, etc…
- provide support where engineering intervention is required (e.g. due to bugs or performance problems, on-call).
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a relevant Engineering discipline (Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science).
Experience and Skills
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
- Programming language proficiency in Python and mastery of at least one web frameworks (Django, Flask, fast API)
- Good knowledge of object relational mappers (and their implementation design patterns), No SQL, PostgreSQL, and storage options.
- Experience using observability and monitoring tools.
- Working knowledge of good practices for computer and data security
- Experience with git: GitHub/Gitlab based source code management and deployment pipelines and best practice (CI/CD)
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and OOP practices, TDD
- Strong API development and documentation experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- HTML4/5, CSS3, AJAX, Bootstrap along with strong knowledge of DOM.
- Strong software engineering and architectural patterns background (MVC, MVP, CQRS, DDD, SOLID, hexagonal, Microservices)
- Experience creating and maintaining scalable web applications in cloud context: elastic cache, distributed task processing, load balancing, containerization, clustering.
- Good experience on high availability, observability, and structured logging
- API design to scale in Python (REST, GraphQL,Apollo…)
- Knowledge of container and container orchestration
- Web and application Server backend management is a strong advantage.
- Good knowledge of web application security with standards such as OWASP
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its services, such as, but not limited to, EC2, RDS, EBS, S3, Lambda functions.